It is very important for all young people to eat a healthy, balanced diet and Kirklees Catering Service takes this responsibility very seriously.
Here are some facts about our service and the meals we offer in school:
- Every menu is tailored to the school after consulting with our customers (you, your children and their teachers)
- We cater for Vegetarian, Halal and special diets in partnership with each school.
- All menus are planned in line with the Goverment's School Food Standards: for further information click here
- We hold themed events, linked to what’s happening in and out of school, which make lunchtime educational and fun.
- Primary schools have regular visits from our mascot, Munch the friendly dragon, who promotes healthy foods and educates children about healthy eating and lifestyles.
- Our service holds the Food for Life bronze catering mark (working towards the silver) which means menus include a minimum of 75% fresh food, free range eggs, high welfare meat and sustainable fish.
- From September, you can have a look online at what your child’s school menu offers at: www.kirklees.gov.uk/schoolmeals
- Research has shown that children concentrate much better if they have eaten a healthy, balanced meal at lunchtime, which can support your child’s learning in school.
- All menus are nutritionally analysed to ensure they meet, and often exceed Government standards.
- All children in Key stage 1 are currently entitled to free school meals. If you're on a low income and receive certain benefits you may be eligible to statutory free meals, for more information on this click here